Secret Service says officers fatally shot a person who fired at them near White House
Secret Service Officers Fatally Shoot Suspect Near White House
Secret Service says officers fatally shot an individual who opened fire near the White House on Saturday, according to an agency spokesperson. The incident unfolded shortly before 6 p.m. ET as the suspect approached a security checkpoint and began discharging gunfire. The spokesperson emphasized that the officers’ actions were a defensive response to the threat posed by the suspect. The victim, identified as 21-year-old Nasire Best, was pronounced dead at a local hospital, though details about the precise cause of death are still under investigation.
“The Secret Service says officers fatally shot the suspect after he fired at them, and the situation was contained swiftly,” stated the agency spokesperson. “This incident highlights the critical role of our security team in protecting the President.”
The exchange of gunfire lasted only a few seconds, with Secret Service agents discharging their weapons and striking the suspect. No agents were injured during the confrontation, as confirmed by the spokesperson. At the time of the event, President Donald Trump was inside the White House residence and remained unharmed. He was immediately briefed on the situation, with the Secret Service says officers fatally actions described as “precise and necessary” to ensure safety.
Suspect’s Past Behavior and Potential Threat
Secret Service says officers fatally struck Nasire Best, who had a documented history of interactions with the agency. His first notable incident occurred in June 2025, when he reportedly blocked an entry lane at the White House complex and claimed to be “God.” This led to his detention and admission to the Psychiatric Institute of Washington for evaluation. A second incident in July 2025 involved Best attempting to enter a White House driveway, prompting an arrest and a restraining order against him.
Investigations into Best’s behavior prior to the shooting revealed provocative statements on social media, including claims of being “the real” Osama bin Laden. Secret Service says officers fatally intercepted these threats, which had raised concerns about his potential intent to target the President. Despite this, law enforcement officials noted that Best had not previously shown violent tendencies during encounters with security personnel.
Media Lockdown and Public Reaction
The gunfire near the White House prompted an immediate lockdown of the press area, lasting about 40 minutes. CNN reporters on-site described the chaos as they heard what sounded like multiple shots, leading to rapid evacuations and sheltering in place. The Secret Service says officers fatally acted swiftly to secure the perimeter, ensuring the safety of the press corps and other personnel.
During the lockdown, journalists on the North Lawn were moved to the White House briefing room, where they took cover from the ongoing gunfire. Secret Service says officers fatally patrolled the area with rifles, preventing any further incidents. The press lid was called at 5:06 p.m. ET, but the shooting erupted nearly an hour later, catching staff off guard as they prepared to leave the complex.
Security Measures and Ongoing Investigations
Secret Service says officers fatally responded to the immediate danger, reinforcing the agency’s commitment to presidential protection. The incident took place just weeks after gunfire was reported during the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, which had already heightened security protocols. Authorities are currently reviewing the suspect’s background to determine the extent of his threat to national security.
The recovered 9mm pistol from the scene is believed to have been used in the attack. Secret Service says officers fatally traced the weapon to the suspect’s location, confirming its role in the incident. While the exact sequence of events is still under analysis, the agency has stated that the suspect’s actions were the direct cause of the fatal shooting. A law enforcement source noted that Best’s history of interactions with the Secret Service had been flagged for further scrutiny.
President Trump’s Response and Security Prioritization
President Trump, who had opted to stay in Washington after canceling a trip to his golf club in New Jersey, praised the Secret Service says officers fatally for their swift and decisive actions. In a post on Truth Social, he called the response “flawless” and emphasized the importance of maintaining high levels of security around the White House. The incident has also sparked discussions about the need for continued vigilance in protecting the President, especially following recent threats.
Secret Service says officers fatally underscored the effectiveness of their protocols in preventing a potential attack. The agency’s spokesperson reiterated that the suspect’s aggressive behavior triggered the necessary action, and that no harm came to the President during the encounter. As the investigation progresses, officials are working to provide a clearer understanding of the events and the suspect’s motives. The case is expected to draw further attention to the dynamics between the Secret Service and individuals with a history of targeting presidential security.
